Friday, October 16, 2009

Inexperience Shows!!!

Come October and the dimaag ki batti sez its time to go gift shopping for my little bro. (His birthday).
Now since I’m not so used to this shopping for guys thingy, I didn’t really know how and where to start. I tried to figure what he would like to have or rather what was most convenient for me to get him and didn’t create any exchange wala pangaa in future.

So to begin with, I thought I must first have a plan…..i.e….kya buy karooo……and among the various options were……

Perfume...Problem! I happen to know just one good guy wala brand that I chipkaao everyone with but that was given to him quite recently…..so what will he do with the same thing over and over?……. Getting another brand would mean a lot of sniffing at the shop…..which would then culminate into a headache and the premise of inconvenience would be totally smashed………soooo perfume chalked out

Then I thought- Shades……they look cool and aren’t super expensive……but then again… How do I know it will suit him? Suppose it doesn’t?? Sabb waste! Too risky- Next!

Third, and the easiest option- A shirt. I know the size, I know the color and he loves clothes too……Super!… All set and the only thing needed now was to go to a nice shop, find a shirt that fitted the mental picture in my head, bring it to the counter, pay for it n yalla khalaas.....Oh n gift wrapped too…almost forgot that….Easy!
That’s what I thought. But nope!! Huuuuge mistake. Here’s why-

First things first, I had to pick the venue and City Centre it was. Why?- Dunno. Everyone goes there…and if so many people go then surely there must be some good stuff in it right?
Enter Lifestyle. Great shop n I’ve been there tons of times (just not for the same reason)…….so no trouble finding my way….. down to business without wasting any time….the ‘Men’s section’….that’s where I headed and what came across was a really sad picture…sooo many cothes all stacked up and hundreds of people pulling them out of everywhere……..and that’s when it struck me….ohhh diwali season hai!! (Damn! Why didn’t I think of it before)…..almost thought I’d come in some other day but then….birthday to postpone nahi ho sakta na plus ive come itniiii door so might as well get the task done…..and so started the great hunting expedition…..I took a peak at everything that was white ( the color I wanted) and since there weren’t too many I even compromised for almost white…i.e…..beige, cream, off white etc….but nope…nothing…….so I thought ok change in plan….different color…black……searched again……same result…nothing.

Now I must tell you this, I found it highly strange……guy clothes have so little variation. Either plain or checked or striped…..and even the colors are so few....given this, how do they stand out on the merit of their clothes alone? It’s so much easier for girls. Loadssss of options…..from a fiery red dress to a flowy skirt to something short….getting someone’s attention is a piece of cake!...Guess its true when they say its difficult to live in a man’s world.

And yeah returning to current track, after a good half hour of searching, a sales girl came in to help and enquired if I was looking for formal or semi- formal shirts (!!! They come in 2 types? Kisi ne mujhe pehle kyu nahi bataaya? No wonder they all looked so drab). So I went on to the semi formal section in great spirits but it was more or less the same thing again- plain, stripes, checks…the only difference here was that the sleeves were rolled or had buttons on the sides or funky collars…..the colors were a lot better too……but nothing appealed….maybe all the good stuff was picked up by the people who came in before me (Diwali ko bhi abhi aana tha!)

So dropped the pursuit of a shirt…….next time maybe……change of strategy……searched for wallets instead…..this time I was luckier…….there was a huuuge showcase like thing full of wallets in various fabrics or texture or whatever its called and after a careful analysis when I finally found the right one and just when I was starting to feel a little happy inside…………my happiness bubble broke…..because when I turned around, a little way off there was another huge showcase full of them n usse thodi door yet another……..all with different brands each……..???....... Why can’t they put it all in the same place? How will people know it’s all over the floor? Made me feel pretty dumb…….like Mr. Bean or something……anyway just picked the wallet I selected and ignored all the other shelves…………..
Mental note- Never go to Lifestyle again!

No comments: